I wasn't expecting a gift. We had had a nice luncheon with great food at a beautifully set table complimented by easy conversation. We sat around the tree and exchanged good wishes for a wonderful Christmas. I was the last to leave. I was putting my coat on to go out into the frigid December day, when she handed me the gift bag with my name on the tag. White tissue paper hid the present from view and I reached down in to retrieve what was being offered. My hand touched the round, smooth object and I grasped it firmly to pull it into sight.
It took me a moment to comprehend. I was looking at a picture of my home inside a snow globe. I tipped it upside down to watch the snow swirl about the world inside the plastic ball. As I turned it around I saw another scene, one just as dear to me, on the other side. It was a picture of the view from another "home" of sorts, Linwood, the local retreat center that we both treasure, my gift offering friend and I. She made this gift for me, I thought. She MADE this for ME.
As she hugged me, pulling my smiling face into her shoulder, she quietly issued another gift.
She said, "now you can always have snow on your birthday:)"
Ah, who can measure the value of a gift from the heart? She had not only read something I wrote, she had LISTENED to what I said. She knew I would treasure this gift, not only because she made it for me, but also because as a friend she had listened to me.
For my birthday, an end of November day that is most often gray and cold, poorly suited to a birthday celebration, I have always wished for snow. That childlike desire has never gone away. I had written about my wish this year and she had read it. One mention and here was my childhood wish being granted. She had taken the time to take a picture of my house, and to find a picture of the retreat center and put together a gift of love. .
When I came home I carefully lifted the snow globe out of the bag and put it on my kitchen window ledge. I can see it as I come in the house and when I look right at it when I stand at the sink to do dishes. I love to look at it. I love to turn it upside down and watch the little sparkly flakes dance around and around, but mostly, I love that she took the time -one of the most precious gifts we have to offer- to make this special gift for me. For ME.
The spirit of Christmas fills my heart every time my eye catches sight of this unexpected gift. Thank you friend.
Sunday, December 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment